When I first decided to turn my passion for photography into a business, I knew that one thing I would need to guard myself against was burnout. I love capturing emotion-packed little moments for people and get truly excited over the images - sometimes to the point I wish it wouldn't be weird for me to print them and hang them in my own home, haha. But, the simple truth is that if I don't take a moment to capture moments like this for myself, then the love and passion I have for it starts to wane. Because of that, I try to shoot personal images at least 3 days a week, if not daily. I also allow myself to edit 1-2 personal images each day before I get knee deep in client work. These simple steps have helped me so much!
I thought it would be fun to share with you a few of the things that I enjoy capturing, personally, and then some goals I have for 2020 when it comes to personal photography projects.
1) Seasonal Traditions - These images were taken while we were out gathering sticks for our thankful tree this year.
2) Candid everyday moments - Storytelling through photos has become one of my artistic loves.
3) New techniques - This image was my first attempt at freelensing. Freelensing is a technique where you detach your lens from the camera body and slightly tilt it so that the part of the frame that is in focus is very small and the other areas have a dreamy blur effect (and great bokeh if there are lights).
4) Family gatherings - This was a favorite from Thanksgiving this year.
5) Spontaneous Adventures - When we have a few extra minutes, I love to stop at random places throughout town and snap a few shots while exploring with my girls.
As for 2020, I hope to be more intentional to capture more candid moments of my girls with our other family members. I pretty much always have my camera handy, but often times I'm so caught up in the other things going on that I forget to pause to freeze these moments too.
If this post is the first you've seen from me, be sure to subscribe using the "stay informed" button below and then check out my client portfolio too!